BRIEF SUMMARY OF THE EPISODE
BULLET POINTS OF KEY TOPICS & CHAPTER MARKERs
- Tim & Danlow [3:45] Tim had a scare last week. Lewis wasn’t well and it ended up with an Ambulance trip. He is all okay now, but it gave Tim a reason to open up the Tesla to make it home in record time. Kevin has been Electric foil boarding in Brisbane Waters near the pool at Gosford, his goal is to get good enough to do it at Terrigal Beach. For Dan life is good for Dan right now. Concerts, holidays, and the Christmas spirit is high.
- Business Update [11:06] We were hit with another interest rate hike last week, which we didn’t really touch on. It’s Silly Season, which means Christmas Parties, keep it under $300 per head to avoid fringe benefits tax. For a full recap, listen to this vintage drop – https://open.spotify.com/episode/0fver9hM6unKSUyFSPjqYg?si=d610bfb4e41e4ae0
- Tim’s Tight Ass Tip [12:29] Black Friday Sales hit again, this time with Blinkist – Blinkist: Best Book Summaries Listen to your fave books in a 3rd of the time! Tim read 3 books on Saturday morning, while Dan was napping.
- Main Topic [15:06] We are joined By Kevin Gilmore-Burrell from Empathyse. Did you know that Workplace Bullying costs over $50 billion in lost productivity within Australia annually? Yes, that’s Billion! Statistics suggest that every day, 1 in 10 workers are subject to workplace bullying or harassment. That means if you work in a team of 10 then data suggests someone in your team is likely the victim of workplace bullying or harassment – which is a highly confronting thought! What even constitutes workplace bullying? The legal terminology describes bullying as “Repeated unreasonable behaviour.”
The only surefire way to fix workplace bullying is to focus on stopping the behaviours before they escalate, and certainly don’t allow it to be repeated. Kevin gives the example that you wouldn’t allow someone to fall off a roof twice, would you?
The key is to look out for ‘Psychosocial Hazards’. These are defined as:
- Conflict escalation.
- Not providing appropriate work conditions / resources
- Psychosocial Hazards & what Business Owners can do the help prevent this.
- Conflict escalation or Personal Conflict.This means; personalizing a critique or comment up to abusive language and even physical abuse.
- How to stop/avoid this: give your team education around conflict resolution and understanding each other’s behaviours.
- Discrimination – excluding someone for any reason.
- Bring in positive behaviour.
- Workplace Design Organisational Job design. Clearly designing the goals and objectives for the team so there is no confusion or ambiguity.